Wednesday, September 29, 2010

This is it...?

Location: Venice, Italy


The first thing I have to say about Venice is: a day and half is more than enough for me (don't tell Mike, he could spend another week there, blah!). Venice is a decaying city falling into the sea. Lots of old buildings, graffiti, dirty. I dare to say its only worth viewing at nighttime, when the city is lit up with street lights and the canal is reflecting the pretty yellow glow. Otherwise, I could take it or leave, when it comes to Venice.

Yes, it’s a historically and culturally rich city--but it just didn't do it for me. And on that note, I do have to say "damn the Vegas!" The Venetian tainted my perspective of Venice (just another reason why I didn't fall in love with the city, not the sole reason). We are walking along the canal front, and the sun is setting--beautiful sunset, turning the sky light purple and pink. What thought comes into my mind? "Oh, that's pretty...it looks just like the painted ceiling in Vegas". Boo.



With that said, I did have fun while we were in Venice. Our hotel room reminded me of a doll house, very small space, light blue furniture, basic. The entire city is cobble stone-no cars, no bikes. We perused the city and shops. Hit an open air market and bought some produce to supplement breakfast. Me, Mike, and one other group member took a water bus around the island which gave us some great views and we got to see the "residential" area of Venice.

What was really fun was taking a night tour on the gondolas. Very romantic, just like the movies but not cheesy.

Also, because Venice is an island, it is at the mercy of the tides and the moon cycle. Very often the entire city floods (not due to the amount of rain fall, although sometimes the events do coincide). A few days ago there was a full moon-so according to our city guide, there has been daily flooding for the past 3 days. Not just the regular flooding, but aqua alta (extra high tide). So much so, the water floods the town square in front of the Church because that is the lowest part of the city. Now that was entertaining to see!

The canals basically disappear and you can't tell where they used to be. The city efficiently pulls out its raised walkways and creates mini runway ramps for people to get around on while in the town square and some additional side streets. We were mean and took pictures of other tourists dragging their suitcases through the water (that's why you bring backpacks in Europe!). San Marco square flooded is truly a site to see, especially when you know what it looks like bone dry. This daily flooding only occurs during high tide, so after a few hours, water recedes and life goes on.

I did not love the city, but I do LOVE spaghetti al carbonara! OMG! We ate at a super cute Osteria far far away from the tourist sites and got some delicious dinner for an amazing price. Love love spaghetti al carbonara (raw blended eggs, cheese, mixed with hot pasta), pasta heaven. Will definitely have to find a delicious recipe to make at home. I have succumbed to the fact that I will in fact gain weight on this trip, but I will be in complete bliss while I do so!

No comments:

Post a Comment